Tuesday, May 26, 2009

goodbye, dear boy

today has been an interesting one.
i awoke at 11, disappointed once again that i cannot seem to wake up at a decent hour to begin the day.
i ate a banana.
woke up alice.
got a babysitting job for next week.
went to the bursar's office to rid myself of almost two grand... thanks, UT.
complained about the humidity and dislike for southern summer weather.
sat at home almost bored to tears, then received one of the most disappointing phone calls in my life.
my darling dog, critter, whom i have known for almost my entire life had to be put to sleep this afternoon.
i was home this past weekend, and barely saw him, but mainly because i was unaware that he was doing so poorly.
my dad had to pull the trigger today by making the decision at the vet's office, and once again i was reminded that i am not made of stone and am quite capable of crying for a solid amount of time.
i honestly have no idea why i am writing this now, especially on such a public domain, but i really just want to clear my head.
this dog was one of the reasons that everyone who knows me understands my undying love for canines.
he was one of my best friends.
i remember when we first got him.
we went to a farm and bought him and lady, his sister.
my grandfather called him a puppy with a bad monkey suit.
he was the runt of the litter and probably one of the most pitifully adorable creatures i've ever seen.
that was twelve years ago.
i hope that i can have my own dog someday that can live up to him.
he was a good one that can't really be beat.

5 comments:

  1. liz, i'm so sorry. my mom told me earlier today that he might have to be put to sleep soon - i didn't know that he already had! he will be missed. i still remember when you got him and lady as well. i remember you and will sitting in your old backyard on rainbow with those two little bundles of fur running around you.

    to help the grieving process, you can come hang out with me and huckleberry anytime you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my eyes are watering. that makes me so sad. i'm so sorry. i remember when we went to go pick him and lady up. man, that was 12 years ago! dang. i loved playing with those 2 dogs in your backyard in that fence.

    well friend, hucky will be around more and you can come play with him whenever you want to. he's good at helping with any kind of sore pains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys are great.
    i would love to come see huck.
    i'll be in town in june some, so i'll definitely want to come see his lovely puppy face.

    will, yes.
    when we got them that was the best day ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't cousins great? Aren't nephews great? Today help what may have been the second hardest thing I've ever had to do. second only to putting my Doberman down. Baron is still sorely missed. As great as he was all dogs have their own version of greatness. Critter was not only a sweet and lovable dog, not only a great guard dog, nor only a great companion. He had such an ability in expressing happiness in seeing you.

    The experience of being there at the end is something I wouldn't trade for the world. It's very difficult and emotionally draining but how could I not be right there for comfort in my close friend's last moments? His love was unending for me why would I end it short for him? So I take today's time with me in sadness but there are several things I know:
    He's not limping anymore.
    He's not in pain anymore.
    He knows I love him.
    And by now he's found Baron and they're playing tug on heaven's version of "The Rope."
    I thank God for pets... Mostly dogs. Every moment including today.

    Elizabeth, your smiling little face is part of my vision of those two so I thank God for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fond memories, the best was having the dogs sleep with you and Annette on Christmas eve and camping with all of us in that little bitty tent with both dogs sleeping on top of you and your sister. I think the air mattress lost all the air. How did we all fit? and of course Critter getting groomed and looking so pitiful. Great memories of a great dog! and Brutus is taking such good care of Lady. It is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete